July 28, 2012

This is not about London


As I watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics early this morning, I can ' t   help  but remember my travel to London in 2001. That trip was a realization, that indeed, nearly impossible things do happen. 

Ours is not a rich family. What we had then was just enough for a decent living . My folks would rather  spend  on our education than on pleasure trips. I am not an OFW, though at some point, I aspired to be one. <These bunch are just so fortunate to have the resources and the opportunities to see the world. > Neither I am a highly paid professional here in Manila. I am just an ordinary employee who happens to know how to balance leisure and the practical things in life.

 As a finance major, I dreamed of going to New York and set foot in Wall Street. <<how I wish this one will come true!!!>>. When I got a job, dreams became more realistic. I wanted to have my own place, go to Hong Kong (because local celebs go there) and buy a car. The first one is done, though a little bit late. The third one seems not interesting anymore. And the thing about travelling. God gave me a blast.

I won a round trip ticket to Europe. It was so unbelievable at first. But it was there, it was announced and everyone was congratulating me. And eventually, I realized that it was just the first step. Visa was the next task,  but boy, it was a walk in the park. No sweat!!! Travel allowance was not problem too. My sistah, gave me the money. The travel itself was smooth sailing. No glitch whatsoever. It was as if everything was laid out for me. All I have to do was to take the steps.

When the entire universe conspires to give you an experience of a lifetime, I guess, you just have to open your arms and embrace what is there for the taking. When you are ready to give back, open your arms and extend to others the learnings of your experience.

Here are some pics of that UK trip. I have no digital cam at that time. These are pics of pics :)



 never miss this!


Back then, I was  so enamored  with Notting Hill (the movie). I was hoping to find my "Hugh Grant" who will sit and read with me in a park. The "Hugh Grant" part didn't happen but at least I got to sit in a bench. :)
  

where Julia stayed

the Parliament House????

No comments: